WHERE FASHION MEETS BUSINESS
Fashion Exposed, Sydney 2012
Held over three days, FASHION EXPOSED, Australasia’s leading twice yearly fashion trade event, returned to Sydney this February 12-14. Presenting Spring/Summer 2012/2013 collections from over 1500 diverse Australian and International labels, FASHION EXPOSED is the most important event on the buying calendar.
The 2012 fair was a success with an exciting program of concurrent events: Live Look Books, Ara Hot Half Hours and the FASHION EXPOSED Business Seminars. The visitors got not only an exclusive first-hand preview at the upcoming season for women's fashions, footwear and accessories, but also had a chance to participate in business training sessions presented by key industry figures.
“Fashion Exposed is the most comprehensive Australian fashion event on the buying calendar and provides a unique platform where fashion meets business.”
One of the most interesting and infomrative business seminars was Digital Exposed presented by Simon Goodrich from Portable (www.portableshops.com). Below are his business top tips:
1. Brand Websites
- Measure your weekly and monthly visitors, subscribers & stats
- Keep your website design and layout simple, and let the content be king
- Start slowly, spend a bit, then upgrade when you can afford it
- Publish content like your lookbooks, behind the scenes, your press releases
- Tag all of your blog posts
3. Facebook & Twitter
- Facebook is about customer interaction & discussion
- Twitter is better as a news service
- Share on both sites regularly. Don’t be afraid of bombarding
4. Emails, Newsletters & User Acquisition
- Collect email addresses at events (parades, exhibitions, runway shows, pop up shops or parties)
- Put exclusive content in your newsletters to encourage joiners
5. Mobile & Location
- Make sure your site is mobile optimised
- Mobile will be used for discovery & transactions
6. YouTube & Video
- Video is the new form of content and is replacing runway shows
- Tag your video correctly
7. SEO & Google
- Emphasise key words within your content as they are more likely to be indexed
- Get your friends to comment on posts. Comments increase ranking
8. Advertising & Paid Search
- Display advertising, paid search & social advertising
All photos by Eva Fydrych / Fashion Studio Magazine
Taking part in FASHION EXPOSED was beneficial not only from the business and educational point of view. It was also a great networking opportunity and a chance to get familiar with upcoming Australian fashion designers who took part in Debut competition. The winner of the Best Apparel was a Melbourne-based brand brkich. Congratulations!
"Fabric prints are the keystone to the brkich collections; instantly striking and identifiable. Each fabric is unique, designed specifically for each collection."
Photos courtesy of brkich
*NO PART OF THIS SITE, OR ANY OF THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN, MAY BE USED OR REPRODUCED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER(S). © 2012 Fashion Studio. All rights reserved.
Next FASHION EXPOSED event takes places in Melbourne: