World MasterCard® Fashion Week
Spring/Summer 2014 Collections
Photo courtesy of World MasterCard® Fashion Week
Toronto, ON – IMG Fashion is proud to present more than 35 shows and events at World MasterCard® Fashion Week in Toronto for the Spring/Summer 2014 Collections including the first-ever Fashion Saturday presented by BMO on Saturday, October 26 that will offer the public an inside look at Canada’s leading fashion event.
With shows from industry veterans like Joe Fresh, Pink Tartan, David Dixon, Bustle and Stephan Caras to newcomers like Hilary MacMillan, JNBY and Paria Sharvani, this season promises to provide a range of must-see runway shows featuring the best in Canadian fashion.
MIKHAEL KALE: Offsite, invite-only (7 p.m.)
* Mikhael Kale’s runway show is set to launch the Spring/Summer 2014 season of World MasterCard Fashion Week with his tightly edited collection of modern separates.
Monday, October 21:
Trend Marketing and Town Shoes Presents Spring 2014: Off-site, invite-only (11 a.m.)
* Make room in your shoe closet! The Trend Marketing and Town Shoes Presents Spring 2014 footwear event will showcase 24 different brands of shoes and the hottest offerings that will be available in-store next year.
Twitter: @townshoes #townxtrend
DIsCONNECT FASHION FILM FESTIVAL#6 Event #RWND: Studio, invite-only (3 p.m.)
* This year’s event will feature a retrospective look at five seasons of DIsCONNECT Fashion Film Festival and past DFFF contributors including Miguel Jacob, Leda & St. Jaques, Renata Kaveh, Francisco Garcia, Zaiba Jabbar (UK), Gabrielle Gettman (UK), Christopher Wadsworth, Eva Michon (LA), Marcus K. Jones (NYC), Greg Swales, Corey Goodyear, Adam Levett, Lily & Lilac, Karen Roze, Sarah Blais and Maxime Bocken. DJ sets by Jay Strut and Olen Only.
Follow daily updates from The Collections through @FSNCollections
Beaufille: Runway (6:30 p.m.)
* For Spring/Summer 2014 this sister designer duo Chloé and Parris Gordon channeled Renaissance Mobsters.
Pink Tartan Fall/Winter 2012 (Photos courtesy of the designer)
Pink Tartan: Runway (7:30 p.m.)
* Pink Tartan will debut its Spring/Summer 2014 collection at World MasterCard Fashion Week featuring bright white & textured jacquards along with an overall nod to pop-art complete with optic prints and highlighter accents. Helping bring Kimberley Newport-Mimran's runway vision to life, in-demand stylist and fashion editor Zeina Esmail will be on hand to add signature elements to the runway giving this collection a creative contemporary art edge. Also, for S/S 2014 Newport-Mimran has designed a washable vegan leather capsule collection.
David Dixon: Runway (8:30 p.m.)
* The Spring/Summer 2014 Collection is inspired by the children's story book "On the Night You Were Born" by Nancy Tillman.
Holt Renfrew Opening Night Party: Offsite, invite-only (9 p.m.)
* Holt Renfrew will kick off opening night of World MasterCard Fashion week with a private cocktail reception at the Bloor Street store in celebration of its more than 30 Canadian design partners including: Greta Constantine, Jeremy Laing, Lida Baday, Marie St. Pierre and Pink Tartan.
Tuesday, October 22:
DHL Fashion Industry Panel: Studio (12 p.m.)
* Now in its third season, an esteemed panel will discuss today’s newest fashion industry trends, how to start your business and secure finances and the importance of e-commerce and retail in today’s fashion landscape. Panelists include designers Triarchy and Stephan Caras; Jarrad Clark, Global Creative Director at IMG Fashion Events and Properties; Greg Hewitt, President of DHL Express Canada; and Mark Zimmerman, Senior Business Advisor at MaRs and moderated by Leesa Butler, Fashion Group International. Immediately following the discussion, the judges will kick off the first DHL Fashion Challenge by awarding three scholarships to George Brown College students for their winning couture creations designed from DHL packing and shipping materials.
TATSUAKI: Runway (3:00 p.m.)
* The TATSUAKI Spring/Summer 2014 collection draws its inspiration from the eclectic culture of its designer Dan Tatsuaki Liu. As a Canadian designer with Japanese and Chinese backgrounds, his designs are infused with rich cultural heritage and a modern twist. The collection is youthful yet still retains a sense of elegance, focusing on creating clothes that are both unique and wearable, with a feminine and effortless beauty about them.
Laura Siegel Fall/Winter 2013 (Photo courtesy of the designer)
Laura Siegel: Studio (4 p.m.)
* For her Spring/Summer 2014 collection Laura Siegel’s created a women's ready-to-wear collection, designed through collaborations with global artisans to promote and sustain culture through craft.
TRAVIS TADDEO: Runway (5 p.m.)
* Montreal-based designer Travis Taddeo’s Spring/Summer 2014 collection, entitled Matinée, was inspired by the easygoing grace and vitality of a new morning and captivates with forward-thinking designs for men and women, in line with the urban, edgy and minimalist aesthetic the designer is known for.
Twitter: @TRAVISTADDEO #TRAVISTADDEO
JNBY: Runway (6pm)
JNBY (Just Naturally Be Yourself)
* International Chinese fashion pioneer, JNBY will be presenting their Spring/Summer 2014 ready-to-wear collection inspired by the bold and three dimensional aspects of architecture. The collection also has a hint of soft embroidery and silky textures referencing the impacting of time on various textiles.
Twitter: @JNBYcanada; @FSNCollections
Mercedes-Benz Start Up 2013 Finale group runway show: Runway (7 p.m.)
* Mercedes-Benz Start Up, Canada’s premier program to discover and mentor emerging fashion designers, will host its third annual group finale runway show featuring the Spring/Summer 2014 Collections from eight finalists: Dreamboat Lucy, Malorie Urbanovitch, Matiére Noire, Pedram Karimi, HIP AND BONE, Eliza Faulkner, HD Homme and Faded Lifestyle.
Twitter: @MBStartUp #MBStartUp
Mélissa Nepton Fall/Winter 2013 (Photo courtesy of the designer)
Mélissa Nepton: Runway (8 p.m.)
* Montreal-based designer Mélissa Nepton's Spring/Summer 2014 ready-to‐wear collection entitled Pikuseru, which means “pixel” in Japanese, was inspired by both the culture and the fashion currents stemming from Japan.
Twitter: @Melissa_Nepton #MelissaNepton
SID NEIGUM: Runway (9 p.m.)
* Toronto-based designer Sid Neigum celebrates his sixth season with World MasterCard Fashion Week. For his Spring/Summer 2014 collection, Neigum explores themes of architecture through laser and form.
Twitter: @Sidneigum; @FSNCollections
Wednesday, October 23:
Toronto Fashion Incubator Press & Buyer Brunch: Studio, invite-only (12 p.m.)
* The Toronto Fashion Incubator (TFI) presents its celebrated TFI Press and Buyers Brunch onsite at World MasterCard Fashion Week for a second consecutive season. The curated trade show style event invites retail buyers, media and fashion industry VIPs to explore emerging design talent that will showcase their Spring/Summer 2014 collections.
Twitter: @TorontoFashion #TFIPBB
The Collections present Threshold with PARIA SHIRVANI: Studio (3 p.m.)
* This Toronto-based designer makes her studio runway debut as she explores an organic, minimalist approach to pattern making and draping. Her Spring/Summer 2014 collection began from taking inspiration from Buddhist monks and stripping down the elements to create a clean and cool downtown girl aesthetic.
Twitter: @pariashirvani; @FSNCollections; Instagram: @pariashirvani
Paria Shirvani Fall/Winter 2013 (Photo courtesy of the designer)
Christopher Bates: Studio (4 p.m.)
* Trained in Milan at legendary Istituto Marangoni, Toronto-based Christopher Bates is an intrepid designer achieving a meteoric rise in the fashion industry. His Spring/Summer 2014 collection is inspired by the elegant nautical lifestyle of the Riviera and is designed for men who may or may not own a yacht, but dress like they do.
Klaxon Howl: Runway (5 p.m.)
* Proudly made-in-Toronto, Klaxon Howl's Spring/Summer 2014 collection pays tribute to the bad boys of the ‘50s and ‘60s. Designer Matt Robinson continues with his strong stance on quality and tailoring plays with colours, textures and prints this season.
Twitter: @klaxon_howl; @FSNCollections; Instagram: @klaxonhowl
Triarchy: Studio (6 p.m.)
* This Vancouver-born and L.A.-raised brand, founded by siblings Adam, Ania and Mark Taubenfligel, has made its mark on the jean scene. Known for exceptionally comfortable denim, the Triarcy brand ensures that quality and fit are also foundations of its design. Spring/Summer 2014 is about the individual and bringing wearable denim from the runway to the world, in off-whites and grey to indigo and nature-based textures and washes. With Triarchy, life's journey is made better with a good pair on.
Maison Matthew Gallagher: Runway (7 p.m.)
* For Maison Matthew Gallagher's second show, his Spring/Summer 2014 collection drew inspiration from summers spent in the south of Italy and along the Italian Riviera. MMG focused on injections of colour amongst purity, hand embellishments and beautiful textiles.
Twitter: @maisonMG; @FSNCollections
Mackage Spring/Summer 2013 (Photo: Owen McLeod for Fashion Studio Magazine)
MACKAGE: Runway (8 p.m.)
* Prestigious outerwear company Mackage will debut its refreshing Spring/Summer 2014 collection, creatively designed with elements of mirrored leather found as a surprise touch underneath jacket collars and within the handbag collection. Leather mesh makes an appearance, but is executed in a modern new way via angular square cut outs. Show attendees will be the first to preview the debut of a new design venture as Mackage joined forces with Megs Mahoney Dusil, co-founder and chief editor of the popular PurseBlog.com, on their first ever handbag collaboration.
Twitter: @mackage #mackagess14; Instagram: @houseofmackage
JOE FRESH: Runway (9 p.m.)
* One of the hottest tickets at World MasterCard Fashion Week, season after season, is Joe Fresh.
Twitter: @JoeFresh; Instagram: @JoeFresh
Thursday, October 24:
Toronto Fashion Incubator Press & Buyer Brunch: Studio, invite-only (12 p.m)
* The Toronto Fashion Incubator (TFI) presents its celebrated TFI Press & Buyers Brunch onsite at World MasterCard Fashion Week for a second consecutive season. The curated trade show style event invites retail buyers, media and fashion industry VIPs to explore emerging design talent that will showcase their Spring/Summer 2014 collections.
Twitter: @TorontoFashion #TFIPBB
NARCES: Studio (4 p.m.)
* This evening and special occasion wear line is influenced by iconic women of the 1940-60s, an era synonymous with romantic glamour and elegance and empowered by a unique sense of style. Designed by Nikki Wirthensohn this season is inspired by an aquatic garden party.
SOIA & KYO Spring/Summer 2013 (Photo by George Pimentel)
WHITNEY LINEN: Studio (5 p.m.)
* Returning to the tents for a second season, WHITNEY LINEN brings forward a compelling Mediterranean-inspired collection of effortless luxury for the modern man and women. From the beach to the boardroom, WHITNEY LINEN offers a collection, composed of versatile separates that can be mixed and matched providing a flattering silhouette for a romantic evening or upscale event.Twitter: @WhitneyLinen
Target: Runway (6 p.m.)
* Join us for a festive fashion show featuring women’s, men’s and children’s apparel and home decor.
Twitter: @TargetCanada #mykindofholiday
SOIA & KYO: Runway (7 p.m.)
* Quebec-based brand SOIA & KYO and creative director Ilan Elfassy celebrate their tenth anniversary and a new direction with a sophisticated Spring/Summer 2014 collection inspired by a fresh, light and airy rooftop garden. The collection combines supple and fluid materials such as soft leather, suede and lightweight cotton with utilitarian details like exposed zippers to create effortless and modern every day outerwear for men and women.
CAITLIN POWER: Runway (8 p.m.)
* Inspired by a recent trip to the French Caribbean, the CAITLIN POWERSpring/Summer 2014 collection redefines traditional womenswear with the eclectic feel of techno-tribal, suitable for the modern day career woman.
Twitter: @CAITLINPOWER_HQ #CaitlinPowerSS14
Travis Taddeo Fall/Winter 2012 (Photo courtesy of the designer)
Rudsak: Runway (9 p.m.)
* Rudsak designer Evik Asatoorian returns to Toronto for Spring/Summer 2014. A counterbalance between refined classics and imaginative mixes, the collection pulls inspiration from the brand’s cool and rebellious spirit in this showcase of leathers, pret-a-porter clothing, footwear, handbags and accessories.
Friday, October 25:
Hilary MacMillan: Studio (3 p.m.)
* Toronto-based womenswear line Hilary MacMillan was founded early 2012 with a focus on creating wearable designs for the urban modern woman. MacMillan creates effortless style with the aesthetics of flattering silhouettes and modern femininity with a retro feeling. This will be Hilary's first time showing at World MasterCard Fashion Week following her successful Fall/Winter 2013 off-site runway debut.
Twitter: @hilarymacmillan #hilarymacmillan
LACERDA: Studio (4 p.m.)
* Following his successful debut show at World MasterCard Fashion Week last season, Vini Lacerda readies his second show for Spring/Summer 2014. Staying true to his vision, the collection keeps a boyish tone; this time with a sleek sport look that he describes as the LACERDA girl in Miami.
Twitter: @VLacerda_; @FSNCollections
Thomas Bálint: Runway (5 p.m.)
* Thomas Bálint's interpretations of sculpture and layering are very prominent. The brand’s avant-garde approach to tailoring is this season’s unifying quality.
Twitter: @thomas_balint; @FSNCollections
Stephan Caras Fall/Winter 2013 (Photo: Owen McLeod for Fashion Studio Magazine)
CARA CHEUNG: Studio (6 p.m.)
* This Toronto-based womenswear designer returns to the World MasterCard Fashion Week runway with her Spring/Summer 2014 collection, throwing into the mix for the very first time a full lineup of ready-to-wear separates, along with her signature cocktail dresses. Expect the same tough chic glamour as she continues to marry architectural elements and embellishments with the female form.
Twitter: @CARA_CHEUNG; @FSNCollections
Stephan Caras: Runway (7 p.m.)
* Stephan Caras was inspired by the parallels between the pearl and femininity for Spring/Summer 2014. The collection’s flowing fabrics mimic the fluid nature of the pearl in a palette of blush hues and accentuated undertones.
BUSTLE CLOTHING: Runway (8 p.m.)
* As one has come to expect from a Bustle show, this season’s runway presentation will be high energy and action packed. Inspired by the lush landscapes and climate of Mexico, together with the gusto of the Mexican fashion aesthetic, models will channel ‘Exuberante’, outfitted in a collection packed with bright colours and saturated prints. Custom Projects eyewear - handmade, wood-frame glasses from Mexico - will make their Canadian debut, as will limited edition ‘Bustle for Sony’ accessories.
Twitter: @shawnhewson #bustling #bustlerunway; Instagram: @bustleclothing
Mikael D: Runway (9 p.m.)
* Fashion creator for A-list celebrities worldwide, MIKAEL D (formerly PAVONI) is debuting the first collection under his new label. For Spring/Summer 2014, the art and artistry of MIKAEL D pays a stellar tribute to the evening dress combined with his signature geometric glam twist.
Twitter: @MIKAELDofficial, #mdgeometricglam #mikaeld; Instagram: @MIKAELDofficial
PAVONI Spring/Summer 2013 (Photo: Owen McLeod for Fashion Studio Magazine)
Below is a list of World MasterCard Fashion Week sponsor activations and services:
* Sharing the fashion spotlight with World MasterCard Fashion Week are over 15 members of the Toronto Entertainment District Business Improvement Area that will participate in the Stylicity program, featuring exclusive offers and experiences benefitting MasterCard cardholders from Friday, October 18 until Sunday, November 3. Stylicity has over 150 exclusive offers from restaurants, bars, shops and spas in Toronto’s most fashionable neighbourhoods as well as online from some of the most stylish e-tailers. Find out more at http://worldmastercardfashionweek.com/Stylicity.
* Mercedes-Benz Canada is pleased to support the Canadian fashion industry and present this year’s talented Mercedes-Benz Start Up finalists at the 2013 finale group show on Tuesday evening. By providing unprecedented access to industry experts and mentors, Mercedes-Benz Start Up continues to equip participants with a comprehensive roadmap to success and the knowledge and confidence required for a thriving career in fashion.
* Visit the Mercedes-Benz Canada display to see the highly anticipated new 2014 CLA 250. All guests are invited to take a photo and #UNLEASH their unique style on the display wall, and can enter to win the chance to drive this stylish new four door coupe and a Sony Xperia Tablet Z.
* Craving exclusive backstage secrets? Visit the Maybelline New York Beauty Lounge at World MasterCard Fashion Week to discover the latest runway beauty trends, new products and get the full Maybelline New York makeup experience.
* Fashion forward Redken is a leading manufacturer of professional haircolour, haircare, and styling products, where superior technology is balanced with a street sense of fashion that keeps Redken on the cutting edge. Redken is available and guaranteed only at salons in Canada.
* Rowenta is proud to return as the official garment care provider to World MasterCard Fashion Week. From backstage to the runway, Rowenta’s luxury steamers and irons can be spotted perfecting each look. This season, inspired spectators have the opportunity to try out the same tools used backstage to perfect runway looks and get pro styling tips at Rowenta’s pop-up 'Steam Bar' onsite. Guests of World MasterCard Fashion Week can pick up their free designer wearable press-on, a limited edition 'Partner of Fashion' patch created by the winner of Rowenta's nationwide 'Partner of Fashion' design competition. The winning design will be unveiled onsite during the opening night at Rowenta’s pop-up 'Steam Bar'.
* FASHION, Canada’s number one fashion and beauty magazine, is a proud media partner of World MasterCard Fashion Week and an exclusive National Magazine sponsor of the Mercedes-Benz Start Up Program. Complimentary copies of FASHION will be available on the media wall and at the Mercedes-Benz Start Up Program National Final where editor-in-chief, Bernadette Morra, will serve as a judge and program mentor; the winner will be featured in an upcoming issue of FASHION. For an exclusive subscription offer, visit FASHIONMagazine.com/fashionweekoffer. Get the latest style news delivered to your inbox at FASHIONMagazine.com/signup
Twitter: @FashionCanada ; Facebook: Facebook.com/FASHIONCanada
WMCFW CALENDAR: DOWNLOAD PDF