5 Fun Facts about Mango
Mango ad campaigns (Photos courtesy of Mango)
Talk about fast fashion labels and the name Mango will pop up inevitably. Indeed, Mango has become one of the most popular mass market brands for stylish togs at reasonable prices. I reckon it's hard to go wrong with the winning formula of gorgeous ads + wearable designs + fair prices.
The Spanish multinational clothing company was founded in 1984 by two Turkish brothers based in Barcelona. As of 2008, the brand has more than 850 stores in 81 countries located on 5 continents. Not shabby at all, considering how young the company is.
Love Mango as much as I do? Sink your teeth into 5 more fun facts about the brand!
1. Mango started out as a humble clothing wholesale store in Barcelona, Spain, 30 years ago. The brothers, Isak and Nahman Andic, opened their first Mango store in Paseo de Gracia in 1984.
Isak Andic (Photo courtesy of Zimbio)
2. Out of almost 8,600 employees, 80 percent of Mango's workforce is female. And the average age is 30.
Photo courtesy of keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk
3. Since 2007, the brand has been collaborating with designers and A-list celebrities including Milla Jovovich, Spanish sisters Penelope and Monica Cruz, Scarlett Johansson, and Elizabeth Hurley.
The Cruz sisters for Mango
In the collaboration with Elizabeth Hurley, the model / actress designed a limited edition swimwear capsule collection, which was available in selected stores across the world from since May 2008.
The 'Elizabeth Hurley for MNG' collection comes with swimsuits, kaftans, and bikinis in a rainbow of summer hues like my favourite fuchsia, coral, mocha, and white. It also makes a nod to the 60's with its range of belted bikinis, vintage polka-dots, and op-art prints. The swimwear collection is complete with a small range of summer-inspired accessories like bags, costume jewellery, sunglasses, and sandals.
Photo courtesy of Mango
And with Liz Hurley modelling for the collection, little wonder that it was a hit!
4. Internationally best-selling and award-winning Brazilian writer Paulo Coelho also worked with Mango.
In a collection launched under the name ‘Mango & Paulo Coelho’, the brand's second collection of women’s t-shirts were illustrated with 6 quotes donated by author. The collection was sold in all Mango stores in Spain in 2009. True to Coelho's philosophy, each t-shirt featured a message about the values of being human and was presented in an exclusive packaging.
Priced at £19, parts of the proceeds were donated to the acclaimed novelist’s charity organisation, The Paulo Coelho Institute, which donates its resources to the underprivileged communities in Brazil.
5. Mango has worked with a long line of super models for its ad campaigns, including Isabel Fontaine, Kate Moss, Miranda Kerr, Karolina Kurkova, Claudia Schiffer, Eva Herzigova, and even Christy Turlington, who reportedly doesn't "wake up for less than $10,000 a day." Guess even Turlington can't resist the allure of a commercial brand like Mango.
Moss looking, as usual, all sultry
Now, Canadian model Daria Werbowy, who is of Polish descent, joins the queue.
Werbowy has modelled for big names like Diane von Furstenberg, Valentino, Dolce and Gabbana, and Balenciaga, and will now be seen in the spring/summer 2014 campaign for Mango.