Fashion & Design Festival
18 - 23 August 2014
Photos courtesy of FDF
MONTREAL, JULY 30, 2014 – With Honorary President Nathalie Rykiel at its helm, the 14th Fashion & Design Festival (FDF), presented in collaboration with Casino de Montréal, will set sail for the first time in the heart of Quartier des spectacles, and from Wednesday, August 20 to Saturday, August 23 will treat festival-goers to an engaging experience more thrilling than ever, filled with collaborations and artistic synergies.
Brimming with creativity, FDF will offer the general public an outstanding rendezvous, bringing together the many segments of fashion and design, along with stakeholders from every quarter: cultural institutions, creators, artists and artisans, major brands from here and elsewhere, schools and shopping centres.
Nathalie Rykiel (Photo courtesy of FDF)
The Special Events
The Special Events, an original creation by Groupe Sensation Mode, will dazzle onlookers every evening at the Casino de Montréal Runway (main stage):
- Mouvement: Through the magic of fibre optics, OSM resident organist, Jean-Willy Kunz, accompanied by several musicians, will make the OSM Grand Orgue Pierre-Béique sing during this breathtaking fashion show styled by Yso. A creation of Groupe Sensation Mode in artistic partnership with OSM (video design: This is HERD, media partner: Clin d’œil). Wednesday, August 20 at 9:00 p.m.
- Re // Mode: Digital remix of black and white film, fashion and musicdeveloped by Christian Pronovost in creative partnership with MASSIVart. Styled by Tinashe Musara. Thursday, August 21 at 10:00 p.m.
- Fashion on the Rocks: A collaboration with producer Greenland for an all-music presentation of a fashion show highlighting the most electrifying trends; styled by Andrew McNally. Friday, August 22 at 10:00 p.m.
- Fashion Soul, presented by Heineken: An outstanding fashion show distilling the influence of Afro‑American culture on international fashion, staged by AngeLo Cadet. Styling by Sophie Lanza with the participation of several Quebec celebrities. Saturday, August 23 at 10:00 p.m.
AngeLo Cadet (Photo courtesy of FDF)
FDF Fashion: A wide-ranging program
The Fashion & Design Festival is proud to present fashion shows from major local and international brands.
- Dynamite: 30th anniversary fashion show of the major Montreal retailer. Friday, August 22 at 9:30 p.m.
- Le Château: A glimpse at the up-and-coming trends from this major local brand woven into Montreal’s fashion fabric. Saturday, August 23 at 8:30 p.m.
- La Vie en Rose: Expect women’s lingerie to crank up temperatures at Place des Festivals! Saturday, August 23 at 9:30 p.m.
- Henriette L. Boutique: The Avenue Laurier shop is celebrating its 35th anniversary at FDF with a presentation of some major international collections from Sonia Rykiel, Jean Paul Gaultier, Yohji Yamamoto and Maison Martin Margiela. Wednesday, August 20 at 8:30 p.m.
Henriette L. Boutique (Photo courtesy of FDF)
- Antoine Laoun opticien: Presentation of the new Oliver Peoples collection arriving straight from West Hollywood’s Sunset Boulevard! Friday, August 22 at 6:30 p.m.
- Alton Gray: A 100% urban show presenting the launch of Adriano Goldschmied’s 360 contour jeans. The unisex destination shop will have an original and artistically inspired show in store based on the collection’s New York launch. Saturday, August 23 at 8:00 p.m.
- Target: A rendezvous that promises great thrills and surprises for festival-goers: Fall Trends at Target with live musical performance by Platinum-selling French Canadian singer-songwriter Bobby Bazini. Thursday, August 21 at 9:00 p.m.
- Forever 21: A fashion show presenting the favourite trends of the season. Friday, August 22 at 9:00 p.m.
- GUESS & Marciano: GUESS reconnects with its roots and draws inspiration from Nashville, the city of music that embodies the American soul. Marciano, celebrating its 10th anniversary this fall, will present a collection representing elegance, glamour and sophistication. Saturday, August 23 at 9:00 p.m.
- Place Ville Marie: Join the party as Galerie Place Ville Marie presents the internationally-inspired Destination Place Ville Marie fashion show. Friday, August 22 at 8:00 p.m.
- Alexis Nihon: For the first time, the popular fashion centre will take a turn on the Casino de Montréal Catwalk at the FDF. Thursday, August 21 at 8:00 p.m.
Target (Photo courtesy of FDF)
Emerging designers will be given a special place at the 2014 FDF:
- Melow by Mélissa Bolduc: The young designer, participating in her first FDF, is presenting a show based on 1930s winter sports fashions. Wednesday, August 20 at 6:30 p.m.
- D Moment: A collective show by emerging designers highlighting creations by: the Joncas brothers, 3. Paradis, H.O.S., K.Q.K., Marilyne Baril, Mohawki, Aragon Couture, Dominique Ouzilleau, Annick Lévesque and Insieme. Thursday, August 21 at 7:30 p.m.
- Roxanne Nikki: The Vancouver creator will unveil her new collection to the Montreal audience. Wednesday, August 20 at 8:00 p.m.
Roxanne Nikki (Photo courtesy of FDF)
Future designers will be featured at the FDF for a sneak peek at the designers of tomorrow:
- École de mode du Cégep Marie-Victorin: Presented by Journal Métro, this fashion show will feature creations by talented graduates. Saturday, August 23 at 3:30 p.m.
- LaSalle College: LaSalle College graduates will astound and surprise festival-goers at their FDF fashion show. Saturday, August 23 at 4:00 p.m.
FDF is pursuing its commitment to diversity:
- Défilez sans cliché: For the fifth year, this unique fashion show will give 15 winners from the Défilez sans cliché contest a chance to impress the audience with their diversity and uniqueness. New this year, public personalities who embrace the cause will be on hand to accompany the young contestants on stage. Saturday, 23 August at 4:30 p.m.
- Clin d’œil Become a professional model contest: The five finalists in theClin d’œil Become a professional model contest will have a unique opportunity to appear on the runway at FDF. The first-place winner will be announced on Saturday, 23 August at 9:45 p.m.
LaSalle College (Photo courtesy of FDF)
Lunch & Fashion Events
FDF Noon Fashion Events will take place daily at lunchtime around the fountains of Place des Festivals:
- The Stiletto Race for Le Chaînon in collaboration with Clin d’œil: This year, the traditional FDF kick-off event, with its ambassador actress Myriam Côté, will start at the corner of Jeanne-Mance and Ste‑Catherine! To participate: www.festivalmodedesign.com. Wednesday 20 August at 12:30 p.m.
- Musical Hour Yoga with Jorane, presented by monyogavirtuel.com: official launch of Jorane’s new album, “Mélopée,” in a Zen atmosphere combined with an outdoor yoga class that's open to all. Please bring proper yoga attire! Thursday, August 21 at 12:30 p.m.
- Lunch Beat: Music and street food for and eat-and-dance meal break on the Festival grounds. Friday, August 22, 12 p.m.
- Fashion Karnaval: An event combining fashion shows, live performances and music for a hip, urban afternoon. Collaborator: Rodrigo Vergara; styled by: Candice Pantin, ILikeIWear.com; music: DJ SHASH'U for Silence d'Or. Saturday, 23 August at 12:00 p.m.
Fashion Karnaval (Photo courtesy of FDF)
FDF Collections, August 18 and 19
Premiering this year, FDF has come up with new indoor segment, FDF Collections in collaboration with P&G Beauty (media partner: Clin d’œil).
- The Special Collections Event: A presentation of 2015 spring/summer collections at the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal, featuring Ève Gravel, Mylène B, Niapsou Design, Travis Taddeo, UNTTLD and ying gao, all chosen by FDF Commissioner and internationally-renowned blogger Garance Doré. Tickets on sale at www.festivalmodedesign.com. Monday, August 18, and Tuesday August 19.
- The Masterclasses: Led by Stéphane Le Duc and presented at the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal, the Masterclasses turn the stage over to guest personalities: Garance Doré (Monday, August 18 at 5:00 p.m.), Nathalie Rykiel (Wednesday, August 20 at 5:00 p.m.) and Exhibition Commissioner (responsible for the “Planète mode” exhibition by Jean-Paul Gaultier) Thierry‑Maxime Loriot (Friday, August 22 at 11:00 a.m.). Tickets on sale at www.lavitrine.com.
- Book Signing: The Masterclass given by Nathalie Rykiel will be followed by a signing of her book, L'Élégance. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to meet the FDF’s Honorary President and international authority on fashion and elegance. Wednesday, August 20 at 6:00 p.m.
(Photo courtesy of FDF)
FDF Beauty in collaboration with P&G Beauty
- The Open Backstage is the ideal place to discover backstage frenzy first-hand, to learn the beauty secrets of Olay and Covergirl makeup artists and to watch as FDF models are transformed into runway beauties!
- P&G Beauty Bar: Visit the P&G Beauty Bar to try out the latest trends in make-up and pick up some custom beauty tips from the pros! As for hair, Pantene has a few surprises in store with its “Pantene Challenge”!
- Québec Forest Industry Council: In 2013, the Fashion & Design Festival made Quebec lumber its design material of choice. To mark the second year that the Québec Forest Industry Council is participating in the festival, the FDF Collections indoor catwalk will be covered in a superb wood floor, with magnificent wooden structures adorning the site, including an immense terrace around the fountain at Place des Festivals, the Casino de Montréal Catwalk and various installations meant to treat visitors to the multisensory beauty of wood.
- UQAM, Quartier des spectacles and Groupe Sensation Mode Partnership: Videographer Emmanuel Rinfret reinterprets the work of ying gao in a majestic mapping projected on the walls of UQAM.
- Carré créatif: Video designers This is Herd, MASSIVart and Another Sidewalk by Nico Stinghe will project their prodigious creations on the big screen during the FDF.
- Street Art by Stikki Peaches, in collaboration with Galerie LeRoyer: a creative space set aside for street artist Stikki Peaches.
Photo courtesy of Ying Gao
- Fashion Music Happy Hour: Quebec celebrities liven-up the on-site ambiance by playing DJ on the Casino de Montréal Catwalk: Geneviève Borne, Julie St-Pierre, Catherine Pogonat and AngeLo Cadet (media partner: Breakfast Television). Daily at 5:00 p.m.
- MDM – Greenland: A series of musical performances introducing festival-goers to excellent Montreal stage artists. Daily at 7:00 p.m.
- POP-UP Shops: 25 POP-UP Shops will provide festival-goers with opportunities to discover, encourage, visit and purchase creations by local designers. Daily starting at 4:00 p.m. and on Saturday starting at 2:00 p.m.
- POP-UP Shows: Shows featuring a series of trendy fashions from the FDF POP-UP Shops. Daily at 6:00 p.m.
POP-UP Shows (Photo courtesy of FDF)
Geneviève Borne: FDF spokesperson for the sixth year in a row
Geneviève Borne and the FDF have resumed their partnership, now going into its sixth year. “My summer in Montreal follows the rhythm of the FDF, which brings together my passions for fashion, music and design! The arrival of the Festival at the Quartier des Spectacles opens a whole new range of possibilities and confirms how important this event has grown to be. See you all in August!” said Geneviève Borne.
Fashion & Design Festival thanks its invaluable partners
Proud partner of the FDF for the past three years, the Casino de Montréal will dazzle visitors, especially with the Casino de Montréal Catwalk, the epicentre of the FDF and main stage for the event, as it plays host to all of the major Fashion & Design Festival activities. Visit the Casino de Montréal and enjoy one of the largest varieties of gaming activities in North America. Treat your senses at any of its four restaurants or five bars and take in the unforgettable shows.
The FDF also wishes to thank P&G Beauty, an exceptional partner of Quebec fashion. For twelve years now, P&G Beauty has been a loyal ally of Quebec fashion, maintaining its support unconditionally, both on the national and international scenes. The FDF is happy to yet again count on such sustained promise as this select partnership comes forward once more by supporting the first edition of FDF Collections.
The Fashion & Design Festival credits a significant part of the prestige of its facilities to its collaboration with the Quebec Forest Industry Council (QFIC), who is a proud partner of the event for the second consecutive year. “This partnership is part of the Move to Clean Carbon campaign, which aims to show the numerous uses of wood and how in the future, because of wood’s eco-friendly potential, more and more products will be made with wood fibre rather than non-renewable resources,” said André Tremblay, QFIC president and CEO. “This year we are inviting festival-goers to comment on the facilities in the WOOD VOX POP. The top broadcasts will then be featured on the festival’s social media accounts.”
The FDF would also like to underscore the contributions of many important partners to the 2014 edition: Heineken and Loews Hotel Vogue as well as the Government of Québec (Secrétariat à la région métropolitaine, Tourisme Québec, Secrétariat à la condition féminine, Ministère de l'Économie, de l'Innovation et des Exportations), the City of Montreal, Tourisme Montréal, Canadian Heritage and Destination Centre-Ville.
Visit http://www.festivalmodedesign.com/en/on-schedule to view the entire program.